This year’s return to school is a very different one given the events of 2020! There might be a bit of competition between who is more excited, kids or parents?!
One thing that we know is the importance of good footwear for the school year, especially given that school shoes didn’t get much of a run last year (pardon the pun). There is no better time to check the condition of arguably the most important pair of shoes in the cupboard. Check out some tips below on checking and choosing new shoes for your kids below.
- Do the shoes still fit, and perhaps have a little bit of room to grow?
- Are the shoes worn out in any areas?
- What are the requirements for your school?
- Not sure on the above? Book in to see a podiatrist! Podiatrist’s can help assess the condition of your child’s school shoes as well as conduct a biomechanical assessment and make recommendations based off their findings.
Top Tips from ProFeet Podiatry and our friends at Active Feet
- Make sure that your child is measured by an expert
- Don’t go too big when choosing a shoe
- Quality will save you money in the long run
- Match the shoe to your child and the activities that they complete
- School shoes should be comfortable and durable
Our final tip!
Our final tip here is to be aware of any niggles or injury concerns after the return of school. A reduced amount of activity, or de-conditioning, over 2020 meant that our podiatrists have seen an increase in injuries such as heel pain in kids after they started back at school or sport. If your child starts to experience heel pain, or any other kids foot injuries like this please feel free to book in for an assessment, getting on top of it early is the key!