Do you have a dancer in the family? When is the right time to see a Podiatrist?
Dancing is a hobby for many, where many hours are often spent in the dance studio on weeknights and weekends. Our legs and feet endure a lot when we dance, and are just one of the areas of our bodies that are so important to look after.
So when is the right time to see a Podiatrist?
- If your child complains of pain in their lower legs and/or feet during or outside of dancing
- If your child has been dancing for a while and the dance teacher indicates that going on pointe is a possibility
- If your child participates in many hours of dance and/or other activities
- If you think your child is at risk of developing bunions as there is a family history
- If your child experiences pain from nail related issues such as ingrown toenails
- If your child develops hard skin or blisters on their feet
The initial appointment with your Podiatrist is a thorough assessment, where we will gain knowledge of your child’s overall biomechanics and develop an understanding of their injury risk. A check-up is also worthwhile even if your child is not experiencing pain or symptoms. Your Podiatrist will provide you with a tailored management plan and recommend advice on injury prevention, as we understand how important your extracurricular activities are.