Being on your feet all day can be a difficult task, but when wearing the wrong work boots it can be twice as hard! Geelong podiatrist, Andrew Graham, outlines what to look for when shopping for your next pair of work boots.
It’s easy to get lost in the online marketplace when searching for your next pair of work boots. People often make this overwhelming decision based on brand name recognition, recommendations from colleagues, cheaper price points, or misleading advertising. So I’m here to add a little bit of clarity on where to start when it comes to work boots.
So what should you be looking for in a new pair of work boots?
- Stability: Especially in the back two-thirds of the boot.
- Cushioning: To help offset the hard, flat surfaces that a lot of our clients spend time on during the day.
- Strong heel counter: To secure the heel and reduce fatigue over the course of the day.
- Flexibility of the boot at the toe joints: To allow normal function of the foot during walking and standing.
- Removable liner: To optimise fit, feel and cushioning of the boot. To also allow room for an orthotic if necessary.
Considering all these factors, as well as, comfort and durability my top work boot for this year is the Ascent Alpha 2. The Ascent range is stocked at most ‘The Athlete’s Foot’ locations. It can also be found at various Hip Pocket Workwear stores. My advice is to phone ahead to make sure they have not only the boots but also your size!
The Ascent range not your style? That’s ok, here are my next best options for 2019!
- Steel Blue Argyle
- Mongrel ZipSider
These two boots styles provide similar attributes to the Ascent Alpha 2, at slightly cheaper price points.
What about elastic-sided boots? I encourage my clients to avoid elastic-sided boots unless they are in and out of homes all day and are required to take them off! My reasoning is that they provide less stability than there lace-up alternatives. In saying that, if it’s something you can’t avoid, my go-to would be the Ascent Sigma 2.
The right work boot can make a world of difference. Look out for the shoes mentioned when you’re looking for your next pair of boots and give your feet the change they deserve!
If you have any specific questions, please feel free to email me on the address below or make an appointment with myself or any of our team members on 1300 945 789 or book online.
Pro Feet Podiatry