Are you a nurse who suffers from sore feet? Rosie, Torquay & Geelong Podiatrist, gives her top 3 tips to reduce your pain.March 22, 2018
Do you suffer from sore feet or tired legs at work?
As podiatrists, this is something we see very regularly in nurses, often presenting with heel pain, burning feet and tired legs.
The combination of the demands of work and spending long periods of time standing and walking on hard surfaces, leads to many overload injuries and aches and pains. Unfortunately our bodies and feet weren’t designed for this and so we need to be able to help provide the correct support and cushioning to help keep them pain free!
As podiatrists, we understand that you want to be pain free at work, but more importantly active outside work. We have put together three key points to address if you are experiencing sore feet.
We can not emphasize enough the importance of having the correct work footwear!
Footwear provides cushioning, support and stability and aids in reducing the accumulative load day-to-day at work. There are some many different types of footwear available and selecting the right one can be difficult. We recommend speaking to a podiatrist or having your shoes fitted at a speciality store like Athlete’s Foot.
We recommend the below shoes:
- Ecco Bartlett
- Ecco Soft 7
- Asics Cumulus
- Ascent Avara
- Self massage
- Sitting on a seat in socks or barefoot. Place your foot over the top of a tennis or spikey ball and roll your foot forwards and backwards over the ball. Complete this for 2-3 minutes of each side.
- This not only feels like a foot massage, but also relieves tension through the structures in your feet
- Calf Stretching
- This helps to stretch the tight and dysfunctional muscles in your arch and your calf
- Stand with your hands against a wall and your feet shoulder width apart
- Place one foot in front of the other hip width apart
- Lean forward, bending the front knee whilst keeping both heels on the ground until you feel a stretch through the calf belly of your back leg.
- Hold for 30 seconds, on each side
If you would like any further footwear advice or are experiencing sore feet at work, please feel to contact us via email.
If you would like to make an appointment call 1300 937 573 or book online today.